Higher Education Scholarship
Funding available to support higher education students at New College.
Wiltshire Community Foundation:University Bursary information
The Principal's Higher Education Scholarship
The Principal's Higher Education Scholarship is open to students who are starting the first year of a Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Higher National Diploma (HND) in September 2023 at New College, Swindon. There is one scholarship awarded per academic year.
The scholarship will cover the full tuition fees for either an HNC/HND programme. There are no restrictions on the duration of study (part-time or full-time)
To be eligible for consideration, a student:
- Must achieve the requisite entry requirements for your chosen part-time or full-time HNC or HND
- Must have submitted the course application no later than 31st August 2023
- Must meet at least one of the widening participation criteria listed below...
You are not eligible to apply if you are continuing an existing HNC or HND course
New College Swindon is committed to widening participation in Higher Education from those groups who are under-represented and who face potential barriers to access. You are eligible to apply under the widening participation element of the HE Scholarship if you meet any of the following criteria:
- You are the first member of your immediate family to enter Higher Education
- You have been in care as a looked-after child for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14
- You have a disability or you are a carer of an ill or disabled family member
- You were/are in receipt of a Maintenance Grant
- You are from a black and minority ethnic group
- You are estranged from your family and have no other source of income
- You meet one of the following two postcode criteria:
- You come from one of the most deprived areas of the country as defined by the Governments IMD (Indices of Multiple Deprivation) database. If your postcode IMD value is 16,250 or less; you meet this criteria. Please note this information only covers addresses in England.
- You come from an area where it is unusual for people to progress to Higher Education or go to University. This is defined by the Governments classification called Polar 3. To meet this criteria your address must fall into quintile 1 or 2 in the young participation quintile or the Adult HE qualification quintile.
Note: to check your eligibility for the above two postcode criteria's, please use the postcode lookup tool using the home address where you lived during your last year of School or College.
To be eligible to apply for the HE Scholarship, you must have enrolled and be able to provide proof of enrolment onto HNC or HND by the end of October 2023 at New College in Swindon.
The closing date to apply is Thursday 31st August 2023, 6pm
Terms of Scholarship
When applying to the Principals Higher Education Scholarship scheme, you agree to support marketing activities by providing your feedback and photograph for internal and external promotion. This includes and is not limited to any websites, social media, advertising and events.
The 2023/24 scholarship award includes the tuition fees for either a HNC or HND programme. There are no restrictions on the duration of study (part time or full time). Please note, if you intend on studying for two years but have only enrolled on to a HNC for a year, the scholarship will only fund the programme that you have enrolled on to. In this case, it would be for a HNC for a single year.
Every reasonable attempt will be made to communicate with the selected student from the details provided within the application. If we are unable to confirm communications by the provided deadline, we reserve the right to withdraw the scholarship and award to another student.
The successful student must provide proof of enrolment on to a HNC or HND course at New College. If you are unable to provide proof you will become ineligible to win and another student will be selected to replace you.
Applicants’ personal data will be used in accordance with GDPR legislation.
Due to the vast amount of expected applications received, we are unable to contact unsuccessful applicants.
Withdrawal of Scholarship
We reserve the right to withdraw a Scholarship from anyone who is found to have misled New College about any aspect of their eligibility and to seek full payment for the Scholarship.
If a student changes to a programme of study outside those listed under the eligibility section above, the scholarship will be withdrawn.
A selection panel consisting of senior academic staff and the senior management team will consider your HE Scholarship application. The panel will look at personal circumstances of those who meet widening participation criteria and take into account achievements of the academic merit applicants. All applications are anonymised and the decision of the panel is discretionary and final. Please note that you may be asked to provide evidence where relevant.
When making their decision, the panel will give regard to the following:
- Applicant has provided a clear rationale for applying for a Higher Education course at New College, Swindon
- Applicant has identified clearly how the scholarship will be beneficial to his/her student experience
- Applicant has clearly articulated future ambitions; these goals relate to the Higher Education course he/she has applied for, and they involved appropriate and credible contribution from which others will benefit
If you have any questions please email HE@newcollege.ac.uk
Alternatively, if you agree to meet our full terms and conditions, please apply for the scholarship.